I returned to Germany yesterday after a very lazy Christmas and New Year holiday of eating, sleeping, reading, more eating and more sleeping.
- At the risk of rather blatant self-promotion, do see my previous post. I want as many people ‘in’ as possible, giving that Aaron bloke a seriously significant Christian kick-in.
- Chris Brady (who is hairy enough to make me wonder if he is the missing link between Homo sapiens and our evolutionary ancestors) has done a superb job with the 25th Biblical Studies Carnival.
- James Crossley has written a helpful follow up to my earlier short post on the momentum of the so-called 'third quest'.
- Jason Goroncy asks 'Will the Love of God Finally Triumph?'
- Jim West joins the ranks of the totally depraved by posting slander and practicing necromancy.
- Oh yes, West also thinks he has found The Very Best Modern Translation of the Bible in Any Language. It’s German. Of course, there is a problem with Jim’s reasoning, as he fails to take account of the fact that German is sometimes not the nicest of languages from an acoustic perspective. I.e. it can sound demonic (at least in the old war movies), and is thus certainly not the raw material of a seriously good bible translation. Don't believe me? Flip to any German internet radio channel, wait for the discussion times and close your eyes. See how easy it is to picture hoards of cursing demons stubbing each other’s toes?
- Unless, I ought to add quickly, the German person speaking is my ridiculously beautiful wife, my wife’s family, colleges or any of our friends or acquaintances, present or future etc.
- OK, if I want my wife to kiss me again, I ought to admit that English can sound quite horrible too.
- While on the bible translation subject, there are some totally unsubstantiated rumours (started by me) that Wright's translation of the NT in his 'for everyone' series will be gathered together to make a complete new translation: namely the 'Wright Official Translation And Totally Inspired Text' (the WOTATIT).
- I successfully salvage the tone of this post after the previous sentence by denying that I wrote it.